Anti choice

What do you make of the peculiar phrase "x is for choice"? I discovered it in a chess book, and perhaps its use is restricted to that domain. I presume that the author means that x is to be preferred: x would be their choice.

Initially I assumed this to be an Americanism. It follows a certain elliptical pattern I associate with the US:
  • write [to] me
  • I could [not] care less
  • White is [spoilt] for choice

This impression has faded somewhat and now I find it difficult to parse at all. The expression "is for choice" is not defined in any of the books or articles that use it. It doesn't appear to be in common use and therefore isn't found in online dictionaries. I would love to know who coined this and what they were thinking.

Googling did lead me to an amusing rant written by Steve Lopez.
One second you're replaying a chess game, the next second you're reading a philisophical debate. Are we to infer that if White is for choice, then Black is for predestination?

Comments