BBC magazine readers

I want to comment on "the best" of some BBC website users' feedback.

  1. Using the word of instead of have. My 5 year old son does this. I suspect he is confused by the (commonly heard) contraction 've. E.g. "I should've gone". I can't excuse an adult making this mistake.

  2. Apparently "for free" is incorrect and we should say "for nothing". I'm not sure about this. I'm led to believe that we can get money for nothing and chicks for free.
    I think the original point must have been that something is "free" rather than "for free". We don't really need the word for when free is used as an adverb. Perhaps we should use the unambiguous phrase "free of charge".

  3. A direct quote:
    it is often not readily apparent what time 12 pm might be
    I disagree.
  4. You cannot "affect" a change in something, nor can you be "effected" by one.
    They're quite wrong, but I agree with the sentiment.

  5. The plural of CD is CDs. If you're going to use apostrophes, surely it would be C'D's?

  6. "He gave them to you and I" is hypercorrection and the perpetrators should be shot. Just my opinion.

  7. Reflexive pronouns: see 6. Or should that be 7?

  8. I agree with Fowler that there is no reason to assume none must be a contraction of not one.

  9. Different from, different to, different strokes. I don't like different than but I will suffer it in silence.

  10. Open-fired rather than opened fire?. I'm not convinced by that hyphen.

  11. Some people are practically literally illiterate.



The rest of it is even more tiresome.

Comments